Richard B. Donaldson, Jr.
Rick is an experienced trial lawyer having handled numerous trials in state and federal courts, as well as appeals before the Virginia Court of Appeals, Virginia Supreme Court and Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. During his 37 years of practice he also has handled a vast number of State workers’ compensation cases before the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission and the Virginia Court of Appeals. He has further handled many Federal compensation cases before the Department of Labor and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, obtaining substantial monetary and medical benefits for clients as well as appropriate settlements.
Rick Donaldson’s steadfast commitment to his community is also an important part of his everyday life. He was elected to the Newport News School Board in 2000, was reelected in 2004 and served as a member into 2010, having been chairman from 2006–2008, overseeing a school division with 32,000 students and a budget in excess of 300 million dollars. His involvement also continues with the local Boy Scout Council and other community non-profit organizations.
Representation is also provided by Mr. Donaldson to obtain Social Security, Virginia Retirement System and long term private disability benefits for client’s disabled from work.
Rick has also served as the Managing Partner of Jones, Blechman, Woltz & Kelly, P.C. since 2005.
MESSAGE FROM ATTORNEY RICK DONALSON
“I will guide you through the procedures to ensure compliance with the applicable Virginia and or Federal workers’ compensation laws. I will fight for you every step of the way to help you achieve the best possible outcome.
When you are injured or ill, dealing with insurance companies and the applicable laws to obtain much needed compensation and medical treatment can be overwhelming. This is where I come in. I will advocate for your rights to medical and compensation benefits. Attaining quality care for your workplace injury or illness is paramount. Early diagnoses and treatment is an essential step on your road to recovery.
A workplace injury can have a devastating impact on you, your family and your finances. You are worried about your job, money, health and family obligations. I understand what you are going through and am dedicated to helping you through this traumatic experience. I am fully committed to maintaining a close relationship with you and ensuring that you are kept abreast of everything going on throughout your claim. To further alleviate the strain of this stressful experience, I do not charge upfront fees and all fees are required to be approved by the overseeing Compensation agency. Rest assured, if you are looking for a workers compensation attorney in Hampton Roads I am here to serve you.”
THE FOLLOWING CASE RESULTS DEPEND UPON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE. CASE RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE CASES UNDERTAKEN.
In the personal injury arena, Rick recently obtained settlements in excess of 1.5 million dollars in a wrongful death and injury claims resulting from a horrible auto accident where multiple insurers were involved. Trial verdicts have resulted in large awards as well for clients.
Educational and Professional Background
- Hampden-Sydney, B.A. (1973)
- T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond (1977)
- Admitted to practice:
- Virginia Supreme Court (1977)
- United States District Court-Eastern District (1979)
- United States Court of Appeals (4th Circuit 1979)
- United States Supreme Court (1988)
Activities and Affiliations
- Newport News Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Newport News School Board (elected 2000), Vice Chairman 2005–2006, Chairman 2006–2008
- General Counsel, Boy Scouts of America (Colonial Council)
- Former President, Boy Scouts of America (Colonial Council)
- Board Member, New Horizons Regional Education Foundation
- Past President, Warwick Rotary Foundation
- President, Newport News Green Foundation
- Hampton Sydney Alumni Council Member
- Former Board Member, representing Newport News Public Schools on New Horizons Regional Education Center
- Former President, Hampton Sydney Peninsula Alumni Club
Workers Compensation is an insurance program put in place by the state or federal government to medically treat and financially compensate employees who have been injured on the job. Each state mandates its individual laws for the administration of workers’ compensation claims, payments, procedures, and legal proceedings. If you have been injured or became ill while performing work as an employee, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation. It is important to know your rights to be sure you receive the appropriate medical care and compensation due to you.
Workplace injuries can be very complex and range from simple injuries that heal in a few weeks to devastating ones that may never resolve. No matter where you fall on this spectrum, Attorney Rick Donaldson can help you determine what needs to be done to protect your rights and help you get what you deserve.
Experienced Workers Compensation Lawyers
Attorney Rick Donaldson has years of experience to help to determine if your injury meets the eligibility requirements for Virginia Workers’ Compensation Act. Maritime or Shipyard injuries are covered outside the Virginia Worker’s Compensation Act and he is ready to assist you with this type of case as well.
- Single Accident
- Long-term Injury
- Stress-related Illness
- Disease or Illness Due to Various Exposures
- Aggravation of a Pre-existing Injury or Condition
The Workers’ Compensation Process
The claims and appeal process can be daunting. There are steps you need to take to successfully file a claim.
- Notify your employer. It is important to document your injury in person or in writing right away.
- File a workers compensation claim. Attorney Rick Donaldson is a valuable advocate in this process.
- Comply with your insurance carrier or employer to investigate and validate your claim. Much of the “heavy lifting” happens during this phase. If your claim is accepted, you begin receiving monetary and medical benefits.
- Undergo a new doctor evaluation once you obtain maximum medical improvement (MMI). It is essential that you receive proper evaluation during this step to determine current and future benefits. It’s wise to have an advocate on your side, rather than rely on your employer’s insurance carrier to make this determination.
- Appeal your claim if it’s denied. Let our attorneys represent you before the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board. Rick has the knowledge and experience to advocate for your rights before the judges.